District Map History Accountability Reports District Strategic Plan
Board of Education Business Services Food Services Human Resources Instructional Services Student Support Services Superintendent Technology Department
New Students to the District Transitional Kindergarten Forms Returning Students Sibling and New Family Elementary Registration Summer School Enrollment
Community Links
Aesop - Employee Absence Management System Employment Opportunities SPUSD Email Work Order System

Interdistrict Permits


Last updated November 29, 2016
Parents may submit new interdistrict permits for the 2017-2018 school year. However, due to limited capacity, new permits may or may not be processed for enrollment in SPUSD. Prior to applying for an interdistrict permit with SPUSD, the parent must obtain a release from their district of residence. If SPUSD is able to accommodate the permit request, the parent will be notified no later than September 8, 2017.  Parents should have a "Plan B" in mind, in the event that SPUSD is not able to grant a permit to attend SPUSD. If your "backup school" begins prior to the start of the 2017-2018 (TBD in August 2017), and you have not heard back from us, you should plan on attending your "backup school". If we cannot accept your student to attend one of our schools on permit, you will be notified in writing no later than September 15, 2017. At that time, we will be finished with all permit applications for the 2017-2018 school year.
New permit applications for siblings of current interdistrict students may be granted for the 2017-2018 school year, if:
* student criteria for grades and test scores is met (please refer to the Administrative Regulation AR 5117.1 below) and
* space is available at the requested grade level
Information on Interdistrict permits for the 2017-2018 school year:
1) If you are attending SPUSD on an interdistrict permit for the 2016-2017 school year, and will be transitioning from 5th to 6th grade, or from 8th to 9th grade, you will need to get a new release from your home school district to attend SPUSD for the 2017-2018 school year. These are the only permit students who need to get a new release, per AB 2444. Please come to the District Office to submit your approved release and to complete SPUSD paperwork to try to continue on as a permit student for the 2017-2018 school year.
2) For students attending SPUSD on current interdistrict permits only, who are not transitioning from 5th grade to 6th grade, or from 8th grade to 9th grade: beginning Monday, May 1, 2017, come to the SPUSD Office of Instruction, Room 4, where you will be asked to complete our Interdistrict Permit application, for the 2017-2018 school year to try to continue on as a permit student for the 2017-2018 school year.

3) For LAUSD residents currently on permit at SPUSD who are transitioning from 5th to 6th grade, or from 8th to 9th grade, please click on the following link to access the LAUSD website where you can request a release for continued enrollment for your LAUSD student:  (please note that LAUSD's window for applying for a release is February 1, 2017 - April 30, 2017 only. After April 30, they will only process release requests if they are parent employment-related). If you live in LAUSD and are attempting to obtain a release from LAUSD, the link below is where you access their online application for a release:


If you live in Los Angeles, and would like to determine which is your home school in Los Angeles, click on this link: http://rsi.lausd.net/ResidentSchoolIdentifier/
4) If you are a South Pasadena resident, and would like your student to attend another public school outside of South Pasadena for the 2017-2018 school year, you will need to complete an Interdistrict Release Application, beginning Monday, May 1, 2017, at the Office of Instruction, Room 4. If you have an earlier deadline for your intended district, please come to the Office of Instruction to complete an application for a release for the 2017-2018 school year. Please bring documentation to support the reason for your request for a release (proof of parent employment in requested district, proof of childcare provider in requested district, proof of acceptance into specialized program in requested district, etc.)
5) If you are not a South Pasadena resident, and would like your student to try and attend one of the South Pasadena schools, the first day you may apply for the 2017-2018 school year is Monday, May 1, 2017, but only if you have a valid release from your home school district. If you have not obtained your release from your school district by May 1, come as soon as you receive it so you can complete the permit application and be added to the list of applicants.  Other required documents include your student's most recent report card (if applying for grades 1-12), and your student's most recent standardized test score (CST or CAASPP or SBAC test for public school students, and if a private school student, their most recent standardized test result, if available) if student is applying for grades 4-12. We would like to emphasize that there may not be space available to accept interdistrict permit students for the 2017-2018 school year, so we strongly encourage all applicants to have a back-up plan should their permit be denied due to lack of space. For 2017-2018, we often cannot determine if we have room to accept interdistrict permit students until the start of school or well into the first week of school. If your back-up plan school begins prior to our start of school and we have not contacted you, your student should begin school in their home school of residence. By Friday, September 8, 2017, all permits will have a final decision of either acceptance or denial, and applicants will be notified by mail by September 15, 2017.
6) For an understanding of the levels of priority given to new interdistrict applicants, please see our Administrative Regulation 5117.1  regarding Interdistrict Permits, located in the Resource Locker at the bottom of this page.
7) If you have further questions that are not addressed on this page, please contact the Office of Instruction at 626-441-5810 X1120.

Interdistrict Permits

PPT, Word, Excel Viewers [Go]
Acrobat Reader [Go]